Much to everyone’s surprise, our park at last partially reopened on Friday, Dec. 2nd, enabling public access to the pathways, main plaza and the mural garden/on-leash pet area behind the Flatiron Bldg. Hurray!
The city notes that:
- Some park features are yet to be installed, including more pet sculptures in and around the fountain, plus fountain lighting and paving.
- Also to be installed in Spring 2017: a dramatic children’s play/art structure, designed by local artist Luis Jacob, will complete the currently-fenced off greenspace bordering Scott St.
- All landscaped, grassy areas, will be fenced-off/off limits to the public until Spring 2017 to protect the newly laid sod and allow health roots to establish.
- Temporary trash and recycling bins are in place, and more will be added around the park perimeter to help keep the park clean.
- As a result, the City has postponed the park grand-opening celebration until the Spring, when all park features are in place, including additional moveable furniture around the fountain plaza.
Friends of Berczy Park ask you to:
- Enjoy the new park, and share your comments and photos on our twitter feed @friendsofberczy and on our blog.
- Spread the word about our lovely new park, and refer others to our blog for park updates and design information.
- Help care for our park: Keep in clean and report any problems you see to Friends of Berczy Park or 3-11.
- And, of special note to pet owners, please respect the fenced-off landscaped areas so the grass can settle. Make use of the gravel-surface, on-leash pet area/mural garden behind the Flatiron Bldg when nature calls your pet to the park.
- Finally, watch for our Friends of Berczy Park’s park-user survey in early 2017, to help us get your feedback on the types of events and activities that may pop-up in Your Berczy Park next year.
We hope you enjoy the first phase of the Berczy Park re-opening, with great accessible walkways, ample seating and extensive lighting for safe nighttime use. Thanks for your patience during the lengthy park renovation process!
— Friends of Berczy Park Working Committee