I started my buy flowers search with my florist. One corner of Dukhee’s shop. You want to purchase flowers for someone special. You also want to be socially responsible. Where do you start?
- Ask for locally sourced flowers. You know the labour, health and safety regulations protecting those who touched your gift. And your flowers will have a lower carbon footprint.
- Ask for Fairtrade flowers. Some grocery stores and markets stock fairtrade flowers seasonally. Certification you might look for are Fairtrade, Veriflora, Rainforest Alliance and Sierra Eco. Florverde is a less stringent voluntary program.
- Consider a plant. They generally come from local producers and will give your special someone weeks of blooms. Though I have to report, Dukhee’s nose scrunched at my suggestion, coming just before Valentine’s Day, “If you know the person really well, maybe.”
- Western Canada: http://www.floristssupply.com/content/Floristssupply/pdf/FairtradePoster.pdf
- Toronto area: http://ecostems.ca/eco-flowers
- Montreal, Ottawa area: https://shop.floralia.ca/